I came up with this feta cheese and bacon salad mixture just using up some of the ingredients that were in my refrigerator. Bacon is a great ingredient in salads at any time, but mixed together with Feta Cheese and black olives makes a great salad. I often use bacon as a replacement for bread croutons.
This recipe features one of my favorite salad dressings – Caesar – but it is from a bottle, I really love the taste of Cardini’s Caesar salad dressing. I have tried to replicate its taste by making a home-made version but without any luck so far!
For the olives, I choose a black pitted olive called Hojiblanca, from Spain. These are lovely and fruity black olives that are to my taste, but you can use whatever olives you have to hand.
The lettuce is a little gem lettuce alternatively, I would use a nice crispy romaine lettuce, I think for this recipe I would avoid an iceberg lettuce or a garden lettuce as they would not hold up against the other ingredients in this recipe.
For the bacon, I used a smoked streaky bacon, as I find streaky bacon crisps up better than back bacon.
How to make a Bacon, Feta and Olive Salad.
Ingredients – for one person
1 small little gem lettuce
2″ piece of cucumber
4 rashers of streaky bacon
1 small ripe tomato
10 Hojiblanca black olives – pitted
50g Feta Cheese
2 tablespoons Cardini’s Caesar Salad Dressing
Bacon and Feta cheese salad ingredients
1. Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces and gently fry in its own fat until brown and crisp.
2. Chop the lettuce into bite-sized pieces.
3. Chop the lettuce into large chunks
4. Fry bacon in a pan until crispy and well colored.
5. Chop the cucumber, tomatoes into bite-sized pieces.
6. Break the Feta Cheese into bite-sized but uneven pieces.
7. Add the olives, feta cheese, cucumber, tomatoes, bacon and Caesar salad dressing to the lettuce.
8. Add the bacon, cucumber and tomato, feta cheese and olives to the lettuce.
The end result was a delicious and filling lunch.