I have 3 great leftover chicken recipes to help you use up any cooked chicken you may have lurking in the refrigerator.
Leftover Chicken, Smoked Haddock and Tomato Soup
Ingredients – Serves 4
225g (8oz) cooked chicken cut into ½” dice
2 cloves of garlic crushed
25g (1oz) butter
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon tomato paste
400g can of plum tomatoes
1.2 liters (2 pints) vegetable stock
1 red chili finely chopped and seeds removed
½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp oregano
200g courgette, diced into ½ cubes
100g smoked haddock, cooked, skinned and flaked.
Salt and black pepper
Chopped fresh chives to garnish
1. Blend the can of tomatoes in a food processor or blender to make a puree.
2. Melt the butter in a pan and saute the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, being careful not to brown the onions or garlic.
3. To the onions add the tomato puree and the blended tin of tomatoes.
4. Add the stock, chili, courgettes and dried herbs.
5. Bring this mixture to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.
6. Add the chicken and smoked haddock and continue to simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
7. Taste and season with salt and pepper as necessary.
8. Serve in warm soup bowls with chopped fresh chives sprinkled over the top.
Fruity Leftover Chicken Salad
Ingredients serves 8
600g leftover chicken cubed into approximately 1/2 cubes.
200ml homemade mayonnaise (use shop bought if you prefer)
1 tsp smoked paprika
150g dried cranberries
130g celery chopped into 1/4? slices
1 crisp green apple finely diced
4 spring onions finely sliced
1 red pepper finely diced
1 large romaine lettuce.
50g pecan nuts 30g walnuts 30g hazelnuts
Salt and black pepper to taste.
Place all the ingredients except the lettuce into a bowl and mix well. Season to taste and place in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before serving on a bed of lettuce leaves.
Thai Chicken Curry: Delia Smith inspired.
Ingredients – serves 2
300g cooked chicken
330g coconut milk (from a can)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp of shredded kaffir lime leaves (from a jar is OK)
4 cloves of garlic
1 red chilli
1 tbsp coconut oil
20 blanched almonds
Place the almonds, chilli, garlic, onion, kaffir leaves and salt into a food processor, process until the ingredients are finely chopped.
Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin and coriander, heat for 1 minute. Add the mixture from the processor, and cook for a couple more minutes.
Add the coconut milk and chicken and cook at a gentle simmer for about 20 minutes.