I have been thinking of cooking this keto meatloaf recipe for some time now. Finally I got down to making the recipe. This recipe is inspired by Alton Browns recipe in this book “Good Eats the Early Years”. I recommend reading the book as there are plenty of recipes you could convert to low carb keto recipes. Just ignore the baking recipes.
The book is an all round good read, a great combination of humor and science.
I really enjoyed the finished meatloaf it turned out to be delicious, very meaty with a bit of heat from the chilli powder..
How I Made the Meatloaf Low Carbo and Keto
In the book the recipe calls for 6 ozs of breadcrumbs, I substituted these with 6 ozs/150g of pork rinds that I turned into crumbs in my blender, so that this is potentially a low carbohydrate meatloaf, check the labels on the tomato and BBQ sauces to make sure they are also low carb sauces.
This recipe makes generous amounts of meatloaf, about 16 servings, as I doubled up on the quantities of Alton’s recipe. Or in my case feeding two people with loads of leftovers. I sliced some portion sized pieces and put them in the freezer. This meatloaf freezes very successfully.
Low Carb Meatloaf Recipe inspired by Alton Brown
500g Pork Mince
1400g lean steak mince
150g pork rind
2 tsp dried thyme
4 small onions
2 stems/ribs celery
1 red bell pepper
4 tsp garlic (I used lazy garlic from a jar) or 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 tsp chilli powder
½ cup low carb ketchup
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp ground cumin
½ cup lowcarb BBQ sauce
1 tsp honey
2 tsp salt
How to prepare
Turn the oven on to 160C or 325F.
1. Reduce the pork rinds to crumbs in a blender or food processor.
2. Reduce the thyme into fine particles.
3. Into a large bowl place the processed pork rinds, chilli powder, processed thyme, salt and garlic.
4. reduce the onions, peppers and celery into fine pieces. Be careful not to reduce the vegetables to a purée.
5. Place the processed celery, onion and bell pepper mixture into the bowl.
6. Add the ground meat and the eggs.
7. Gently using your hands combine all the ingredients together carefully. Do this thoroughly but gently so that the ground meat should still retains it’s integrity.
8. Place the mixture into a roasting dish and shape the mixture into a loaf shape. Place this in the oven for 10 minutes so the the outside of the meatloaf produces a crust that will take the glaze.
9. Make the glaze, by mixing the BBQ sauce, tomato sauce, ground cumin, honey and Worcestershire sauce.
10. Paint the meatloaf with the glaze.
11. Using a meat thermometer setting the thermometer alarm to go off at 155F or 70C. The meatloaf is cooked when the alarm goes off
12. Once cooked remove from the oven then allow to cool for about 10 minutes, to firm up before you slice and serve.
Finished Low Carb Keto Meatloaf.
The end result was a tasty moist meatloaf that all the family really enjoyed, including none low carb followers.