Oven roasted vegetables are one of those recipes I cook up nearly every week. I use a selection of seasonal vegetables. To keep the recipe low carb and paleo I don’t usually include potatoes, but I often add a few sweet potatoes.
It isn’t necessary to follow this recipe to the letter for success, rather use whatever vegetables you have to hand, chop them up into large 1″ chunks place into a roasting dish add some olive oil and mix to ensure the oil covers all the vegetables and you are good to go. Also to ring the changes you can sprinkle over various herbs or spices – I like some adding smoked paprika. For this oven roasted vegetable recipe, I added Italian herbs and a splash a balsamic vinegar.
My inspiration for this recipe is the book called “Summer Collection” by Delia Smith. In this book, she has a recipe called Oven Roasted Ratatouille although this recipe differs it was never the less the inspiration behind it.
Oven Roasted Vegetables – Recipe
1 kg Courgettes or zucchini
1 green pepper or green bell pepper
1 large aubergine or eggplant
3 large red onions
1 whole head of garlic
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon Italian herbs
Salt and pepper
1. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 1″ cubes
2. Peel the red onions, but leave the root intact. The trick here is to cut through the onion root and cut the onion into 6 pieces. By cutting through the root the onion pieces stay together during cooking.
3. Chop the courgettes, green pepper, aubergine into 1″ chunks, cut the tomatoes into 6 quarters each.
4. Put all the roast veggies into an oven proof pan a roasting pan is good I used a Pyrex dish. Add the garlic bulb whole.
5. Sprinkle over the Italian herbs, balsamic and olive oil, then season with salt and pepper and mix well.
6. Place in 200C/400F for about 40 minutes. After this time check to make sure the roast veggies are tender by inserting a knife into the vegetables, if not continue cooking until the vegetables are cooked and tender.
7. Inside the garlic bulb is delicious cooked sweet garlic pulp, squeeze this out over the oven roasted vegetables.