This is a delicious spicy mashed sweet potatoes recipe. It was inspired by some beautiful white sweet potatoes I bought from my local supermarket. These were an unusual purchase as normally the only sweet potatoes available are the orange sweet potato varieties. The white sweet potatoes were grown in Portugal.
This dish is a great mashed potatoes substitute, and pairs really well with most roast meats, I ate this with roasted belly pork, and some brussels sprouts and onion gravy.
Cooking Sweet Potatoes
The method I choose to cook these white sweet potatoes was in the microwave oven. You could alternatively choose to boil steam or roast the sweet potatoes. I choose the microwave as I have a microwave vegetable steamer, which gives good results. After the cooking time, the sweet potatoes were nice and dry, which is the result you are looking for as there is nothing worse than soggy mash.
Recipe for Spicy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients serves 4
800g Bushbok white sweet potatoes (or substitute with orange sweet potatoes if the white variety is not available)
50g (2 ozs) unsalted butter
¼ teaspoon red chili powder
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
salt and pepper
- Peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cut into 1 ” cubes and place in a microwave-safe bowl with about ¼” water and microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Check the sweet potatoes are tender, if not microwave longer in 1 minute bursts. The sweet potatoes are tender when a knife will just pierce through the flesh without feeling any resistance.
- Place the cooked sweet potatoes into a bowl and mash these with a potato masher.
- Place the cumin seeds into a frying pan and heat the pan. Toast the cumin seeds in the pan until they release a pungent spicy smell. Be careful you don’t burn the cumin seeds.
- Mill the cumin seeds to a powder, I use a coffee grinder.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan, adding the red chili powder, turmeric, ground coriander and the cumin powder. Heat the spices gently in the butter for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the butter and spices mixture over the mashed sweet potatoes and mix really well, taste and add salt and pepper to taste and mix these in well.