One question I am often asked is “Can you have cauliflower on keto diets?”. Well, the answer is a simple and resounding YES!
If you’re on the keto diet, cauliflower is a must-have. Cauliflower is extremely versatile and can be used as a low-carb replacement for potatoes, rice, pizza bases, bread, and pasta.
Also, cauliflower can be eaten both raw, for example in salads, and cooked in many different recipes.
Cauliflower has a somewhat bland flavor when compared to other vegetables, some people just hate it, in this case, use broccoli instead.
Aside from steaming or boiling, there are a plethora of delicious cauliflower recipes to try.
Role of cauliflower on the keto diet
Cauliflower is a great vegetable choice for people following the keto diet. It’s low in carbohydrates, has plenty of fiber and nutrients without a lot of carbs.
It also acts as an excellent substitute for all those high-carb favorites we love like mashed potatoes, rice, and pizza crusts.
Ideas for Recipes with Cauliflower as a Low Carb Substitute
Here are some tasty examples:
- Cauli-rice (aka riced cauliflower) is an easy way to make a low-carb alternative to white rice with minimal effort and ingredients.
- Substitute your regular pizza crust for a cauliflower crust for a low-carb alternative that is just as tasty.
- Mashed cauliflower is delicious and easy to make mashed cauliflower!
- Cauliflower Gratin Recipe – if you want something creamy, filling, flavorful and delicious without all those carbs, this is the recipe for you!
- Soups are usually a good option to add more veggies to your diet. Cauliflower works well added to soups.
Cauliflower Nutrition Facts
Vitamins, minerals, and other important micronutrients are plentiful in cauliflower. These are just as crucial as maintaining your protein and fat macronutrient targets while on a low-carb diet.
100g of cauliflower contains the following (approximate amounts)
Total Carbohydrates 4.1g
Dietary fiber 2.3g
Fats – less than .5g
My Top Recommended Low Carb Cauliflower Recipes
Here is a list of recipes for you to try.
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust (low carb) – my favorite pizza crust recipe!
- Easy Riced Cauliflower is a great way to make a low-carb alternative to white rice. It’s super easy and tasty too!
- Cheesy Cauliflower Fritters (Keto Friendly Recipe)
- Grain-Free Cauliflower Breadsticks – you won’t miss the carbs in this yummy breadstick recipe.
- Cream Cheese Cauliflower Soup Recipe – here’s a great low-carb option when you’re craving something creamy and delicious!
- Loaded Baked Cauliflower: add plenty of tasty toppings and cheese to the cauliflower for an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will enjoy.
- Basic keto cauliflower mash that tastes just like regular mashed potatoes, it’s low carb and very easy to make.
- Creamy Cheesy Cauliflower Soup this delicious soup is loaded with cheese and cauliflower. This is a great choice for people following a high-fat diet!
- Caramelized Onion & Cheddar Mashed Cauliflower Recipe – if you’re craving something creamy then this recipe will satisfy your cravings without all the carbs!
- Cauliflower Salad – a keto-friendly salad ideas that tastes great without high-carb ingredients.
- Roasted cauliflower delicious side dish that pairs well with roast lamb or beef.
- Low carb cauliflower cheese soup recipe – for a yummy low carb and keto-friendly soup check out this yummy cheesy cauliflower soup!
- 20 Minute Cauliflower Alfredo Recipe – personally I’d just use some cheese instead of the cream (since it’s about the same amount per serving. But you can use heavy cream if you prefer).
- Bacon-Wrapped Cauliflower with Cheese Stuffing delicious as a side dish or a light dish for lunch.
- Cauliflower hash browns a great keto idea for breakfast or brunch, cook these and you won’t miss the potatoes.
- One Pan Mexican Casserole with cauliflower rice (low carb) – one-pan dinners are so convenient! Here’s a delicious Mexican-inspired dish you can enjoy without all the carbs!
- Low Carb Tortillas made from cauliflower (keto-friendly recipe) – tortillas are so versatile and handy.
What Keto Vegetables to Eat if you Hate Cauliflower?
What can I substitute for cauliflower in a recipe? My first choice for substituting cauliflower in recipes is to use broccoli instead.
If you just want a cooked low carb vegetable side dish then consider spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and bok choy. These are all great choices that will keep your meal low carb.
Cauliflower is a popular low carbohydrate vegetable choice for people on a keto diet. The great thing about incorporating cauliflower into your keto diet is its low carb, widely available, versatile, and delicious.
It can be used in many recipes as a low-carb substitute for potatoes and rice. Also, it has plenty of other important nutrients such as fiber and vitamins.
If have wanted to try eating cauliflower on a keto diet but don’t know where to start, I hope we have been able to guide and assist you.